We all try to eat healthily but often forget that it is vital to include food of difficult colors in our diet. Here are some of the benefits of eating a colorful or rainbow diet.
When we talk about the rainbow diet, it is primarily segregated into 5 categories which are the reds, the oranges or the yellow, the greens, the blues or the purples, and the whites.
The first category that we are going to discuss is Reds.
Red fruits and vegetables contain phytochemicals, it’s a pigment that is responsible for their vibrant color and these substances are only found in the plants.
Some benefits of consuming reds are
- They are extremely beneficial in reducing the risk of diabetes.
- They decrease the risk of heart diseases and stroke and also certain cancers.
- They help in improving skin quality.
- They fight age-related vision problems.
For the red fruits and vegetables, we can have
- Red peppers
- Apples, etc
They can easily be included in our diet in the form of salads.
Next, we have is Orange.
Orange fruits and vegetables or sunny-colored fruits and vegetables are very rich in vitamins and fiber. Hence, should always be included in our diet.
The benefits of consuming the oranges or the yellows are
- They protect the skin against sun and pollution.
- They improve immunity because they are rich in vitamin C.
- They improve eye and heart health.
- They are also good for maintaining healthy joints.
The orange or yellow fruits and vegetables can be consumed in the form of
- peaches, etc.
All of them are great for fruit salads as well.
Green fruits and vegetables and get their color from chlorophyll and are loaded with anti-oxidants.
Their benefits are as follows:
- They help in detoxifying the body.
- They help in the healing of any broken tissues in the body.
- They are good for digestion and immunity.
- They help in maintaining a good energy level.
The examples of green vegetables and fruits are
- Green beans
- Kiwi fruit
- Green apples
- Green grapes, etc.
Let’s have a look at the next category which is Blues or Purple.
Blues or Purples are rich in anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties.
The benefits offered by the purples or the blues are
- Good for longevity.
- Also known as superfoods for the brain as they help in fighting Alzheimer’s and boosts memory.
- It helps us to fight inflammation.
- It helps sometimes to reduce or slow down the progression of cancerous cells in the body.
We can get our daily dose of blue or purple fruits or vegetables by eating
- Red cabbage, etc.
The last category is the whites which is not technically a part of the rainbow but should be included in the daily diet because of the range of health benefits.
The whites help us to
- Maintain strong bones.
- They help in balancing hormones.
- Reducing the level of bad cholesterol in the body.
- Apart from that, it is also good for the heart.
- Reduces inflammation.
Whites can be taken in the form of
We can easily maintain a colorful diet for ourselves if the make the clever food choices as there are numerous options for us to have all the nutrient.